Today, we are celebrating Earth Day by spreading “Environmentality Around The World.” With the 32nd anniversary of this international event, our Cast Members and employees are participating in environmentally responsible events throughout our global operations.
While Earth Day is officially celebrated April 22 each year, I strongly encourage you to make every day Earth Day. Start today by turning off a light or readjusting the thermostat, and you will be surprised to find how easily you can implement change.
Here are just some of the Earth Day events taking place throughout our Company:
· ABC TV and radio stations and ESPN will host environmental fairs, Public Service Announcements, and VIP volunteer projects. This spirit is exemplified by WTVG-TV ABC 13-Toledo, Ohio, which recently received the Clean Up, Ohio! Media Feature Award from the Ohio Department of Natural Resources for their efforts during Earth Day 2001.
· Walt Disney World is announcing the recipients of the 7th annual Environmental Excellence Awards and distributing Earth Day buttons to Cast Members and Guests at Theme Parks and Downtown Disney. Green Bag lunch sessions, awareness days, a property-wide lake cleanup, and the 3rd annual Environmental Products & Services Expo are also planned for our Cast.
· The 9th annual Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival will open during the Earth Day weekend, providing Guests an opportunity to discover the beauty and benefits of environmentally friendly gardening practices.
· Cast Members at the Disneyland Resort know that “Environmentality Begins With Me,” so they are celebrating Earth Month with a variety of fun and informative activities, such as the “Earth Wise Walk” for Cast Members and “Leaf Your Mark” for Guests at Downtown Disney.
· Commissaries at The Walt Disney Studios, ABC, and WDI will kick off a Reuse-A-Mug Program. This West Coast Green Team initiative promotes waste minimization and financial responsibility among Cast Members and employees.
· Disney Stores across North America are participating in the 3rd annual Environmentality Competition, encouraging Cast Members to develop creative environmental initiatives that benefit their Stores and local communities.
· Cast Members and employees around the world are celebrating Environmentality Month and National Volunteer Month by participating in environmental projects, including tree plantings, trail restoration, and cleanup projects.
· The Grand Prize winning classes of Jiminy Cricket’s Environmentality Challenge will be honored at Walt Disney World and the Disneyland Resort in May. Jiminy Cricket’s Environmentality Challenge encourages 5th grade classes in California and Florida to implement an environmental action project in their school or community.
Your continued involvement and enthusiasm toward our environmental programs and actions sets our Company apart. Environmentality has truly become an important part of our business philosophy. Keep up the GREAT work!