Certain statements in this call may constitute “forward-looking statements” within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, including statements regarding our business or financial prospects or outlook, position, strategy or strategic priorities, business plans, investments, resiliency, growth, expansion, ambitions, opportunities, innovation, expectations or future; financial or performance estimates or expectations, including expenditure, cost or spending estimates; profitability or loss estimates or expectations, including timing thereof; expected drivers; estimates of the financial impact of certain items, accounting treatment, events, circumstances, products or other offerings or innovations; future subscription levels or nature, opportunities, timing or drivers of subscription growth; the anticipated availability, prices, expansion, timing or nature of our offerings (including content included within our products and services, theatrical releases, experiences and business openings, cruise ships, cross business offerings, new businesses and technology); future operations (ours or others’) and related impacts, timing, conditions, precautions or market responses; future consumer sentiment, demand or spending or market acceptance; workforce matters that are not historical; the continuation of external circumstances (including COVID-19); the future impacts of COVID-19 on our business and recovery timing; future matters related to our contracts; and other statements that are not historical in nature. These statements are made on the basis of management’s views and assumptions regarding future events and business performance as of the time the statements are made. Management does not undertake any obligation to update these statements.
Actual results may differ materially from those expressed or implied. Such differences may result from actions taken by the Company, including restructuring or strategic initiatives (including capital investments, asset acquisitions or dispositions, new or expanded business lines or cessation of certain operations) or other business decisions, as well as from developments beyond the Company’s control, including:
- further changes in domestic and global economic conditions;
- changes in or pressures from competitive conditions and consumer preferences;
- health concerns and their impact on our businesses and productions;
- international, regulatory, political, or military developments;
- technological developments;
- labor markets and activities;
- adverse weather conditions or natural disasters;
- availability of content; and
- each such risk includes the current and future impacts of, and is amplified by, COVID-19 and related mitigation efforts.
Such developments may further affect entertainment, travel and leisure businesses generally and may, among other things, affect (or further affect, as applicable):
- demand for our products and services;
- the performance of the Company’s theatrical and home entertainment releases and other content;
- the advertising market for programming;
- expenses of providing medical and pension benefits;
- income tax expense; and
- performance of some or all company businesses either directly or through their impact on those who distribute our products.
Additional factors are set forth in the Company’s Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended October 2, 2021 under Item 1A, “Risk Factors,” Item 7, “Management’s Discussion and Analysis,” Item 1, “Business,” and subsequent reports including, among others, quarterly reports on Form 10-Q and annual reports on Form 10-K.